Saturday, July 28, 2018

Rangeley State Park, Rangeley Maine


Campground: Rangeley State Park


Contact Info: 1 State Park Road, Rangeley, ME 04970

Best way to make reservations: During the season call the reservation line for state parks in Maine, 1-800-332-1501.  I think they answer the phone between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday - Friday


Directions: From the Maine Turnpike (95) Take Exit 75, Turn Left onto US Rt. 202/Rt. 100/Rt 2, stay on Rt. 4 for 5.1 miles.  At intersection of Rt. 4 and Center Street turn left.
Stay on Rt. 4 for 19.7 miles then turn left onto Rt. 108 west for 16.5 miles.
Turn right onto Main Street (In the town of Peru) Cross the River then turn left onto Rt. 2.
After about 2.7 miles turn right, just after Walmart (on the left), onto Highland Terrace for 1.6 miles.  At intersection of Highland Terrace and Backingdom Rd. Stay straight for 0.6 miles.  Then turn Right onto Roxbury Rd. /Rt. 17 (You are in the town of Mexico)
Stay on Rt. 17 for 31.6 miles (becomes Rumford Road somewhere along the way.)  Turn Right onto S Shore Road for 2.7 miles.  Then turn left onto State Park Road.

Amenities: Bath house seemed nice and there was an outdoor sink for doing dishes. 




Notes:
I have been very excited about going camping.  For some reason finding a place that is new to me seemed really intimidating.  I used google to look for Maine campgrounds and was very surprised by, taken aback even, at some of the prices.  One was as high as $76 a night!!  That seems a bit high to me considering I am bringing my bed and kitchen along!  I had emailed some campgrounds and either did not get responses or got a response to one of the inquiries in my email but no ongoing correspondence when I followed up.  I wonder if campground owners prefer to talk on the phone than using email.  I'm not sure... I wasn't sure why it seemed hard to commit.

A friend of mine has been to many of the state parks and I decided that was the way to go...   I was excited when I called and learned that there was a site for me!  Fingers crossed I can back into the campsite easily!  (Though the person on the phone assured me that there are always people around who can help! I figure that is true.  I know from a lot of experience that people who paddle are good people... and I would bet I can say the same about people who go camping!)  So Rangeley State Park, Here I Come!!!

Well... I got to Rangeley Monday afternoon.... But...  Unfortunately I didn’t actually get to camp here. 
I got to the campground and got parked on site 29!  I got it backed in just how I wanted it... I got it leveled and got the refrigerator running.  (pretty good sized lot!) 


Then... As I was setting up my camper one of the four support posts malfunctioned and there was no way I could fix it. 



So I couldn’t use the camper.  After unloading and getting the camper perfectly parked and leveled I had to take everything down and head out.  So my total experience at the state park in Rangely was, sadly,  probably only an hour or so.

Side note: HUGE Kudos to the state of Maine, parks division!  I have learned that most of my reservation has been refunded!  I think I paid for one day.  That is a very nice thing that they did for me, knowing I could not use the camper due to no fault of my own. 

Unfortunately I did not take time to take pictures of the campground itself other than the ones posted here.  I caught a glimpse of Rangeley Lake as I was driving by the boat launch area and again as I was leaving the campground to head to Bangor to get my camper fixed.

What I can say about this campground…
- Bathrooms seemed well taken care of… bath house had three bathroom stalls and one shower stall
- They had an outside sink to do dishes that was very clean
- Friendly staff/rangers
- Other people camping there seemed nice and helpful
- It is in a BEAUTIFUL area

I WILL return here, hopefully this summer, but if not, definitely next year.

The drive from Portland, even on a rainy day, was beautiful.  The hills/mountains were gorgeous.  Definitely plan to stop at Height of Land to take in that view!   See Pics below. 






Moose crossing signs!  I stayed very alert, but did not see any moose.  

Rt. 17, narrow, hilly and windy, but PRETTY! 


All along the route there was beautiful scenery.  

A quote at Height of Land.  























To learn more about my adventure, a bit of an editorial piece if you will, about my camper malfunction and follow up with the dealership click here.

This is sweet Gladys patiently waiting for our camper to be fixed! She is such a good girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poland Spring Campground

Campground: Poland Spring Campground Contact Info:  207-998-2151 128 Connor Lane (P.O. Box 409) Poland, ME 04274 https://www....